This curriculum module on Energy Efficiency for Fruit Production covers energy use in orchards and opportunities for saving energy during irrigation, refrigeration and field operations. The Orchard Block Fuel Use Calculator helps producers assess ways to reduce fuel consumption on the farm.
Link to all of the Northeast Farm Energy IQ Curriculum, developed by Extension specialists from Penn State, Rutgers and University of Vermont.
This is part of the Farm Energy Efficiency Curriculum Series:
This module includes:
- Tree Fruit – Module Overview.pdf – instructions for presentations to Ag Service Providers (ASP) and Farmers
- Tree Fruit Production – ASP Presentation.pdf
- ASP Presentation Outline
- Tree Fruit Production – ASP Handouts.pdf
- Video of ASP presentation – Saving Energy in Tree Fruit Produciton – Daniel Ciolkosz; by Rutgers CPE Media Productions
- Tree Fruit – Farmer Presentation (Top 10 Ways to Save Energy).pdf
- Farmer Presentation Outline
- Tree Fruit – Farmer Handouts (Top 10 Ways to Save Energy).pdf
- Resources for educators, service providers, and farmers:
Module Author, Tara Baugher, is co-team leader of the Penn State Extension Tree Fruit Team, and areas of interest are sustainable specialty crop production and support for next generation farmers.
If you wish to adapt these curriculum materials for your own educational purposes, please contact the Module Author for permission and files: