This module covers the production and use of Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) and Biodiesel on farms in the Northeast. Topics include differentiating SVO from biodiesel, oilseed crops for SVO and biodiesel, the biodiesel production process, safety and personnel protection, economics of production, energy return and carbon avoidance.
Link to all of the Northeast Farm Energy IQ Curriculum, developed by Extension specialists from Penn State, Rutgers and University of Vermont.
This is part of the On Farm Energy Production Curriculum Series:
Bioenergy Feedstock Production | Biodiesel and SVO | Biogas | Wood and Grass Pellets | Solar Electric and Thermal | Wind Power
This module includes:
- Biodiesel and SVO Module Overview.pdf – instructions for presentations to Ag Service Providers (ASP) and Farmers
- Biodiesel and SVO – ASP Presentation.pdf
- ASP Presentation Outline
- Biodiesel and SVO – ASP Handouts.pdf
- Video of ASP presentation: Biodiesel and Straight Vegetable Oil – Chris Callahan; by Rutgers CPE Media Productions
- Biodiesel and SVO – Farmer Presentation.pdf
- Farmer Presentation Outline
- Biodiesel and SVO – Farmer Handouts.pdf
Educational Materials for educators, service providers, and farmers:
- Biodiesel and SVO Fact Sheet.pdf
- Case Studies
- Cost of Production Summary for On-Farm Oilseeds, Meal, Oil and Biodiesel – http://blog.uvm.edu/cwcallah/2013/05/21/vermont-on-farm-biodiesel-costs-of-production/ (includes 5 case studies)
- State Line Farm Biofuels: System Overview. C. Callahan & J. Williamson. 2008. http://vsjf.org/assets/files/VBI/StateLineBiofuelsSystemOverview_08.pdf
- On-Farm Biodiesel Production: Borderview Farm. 2014. http://www.vtfoodatlas.com/assets/resources/files/On-Farm%20Biodiesel%20Production_Borderview%20Farm_Final.pdf
- Oilseed Cost and Profit Calculator – Vermont Bioenergy Initiative
- 2008 – PSU – Steiman et al – Biodiesel Safety and Best Management Practices.pdf
- 2009 – NREL – Biodiesel Handling and Use Guide.pdf
- 2011 – Garza – Energy Return on Invested in Vermont – VSJF_EROI_Report_Final.pdf
- 2013 – Darby et al – Oilseed Production int he Northeast.pdf
- 2013 – White and Callahan – Vermont On-Farm Oilseed Enterprises.pdf
- 2014 – Callahan et al – Small-Scale Oilseed Presses.pdf
- 2014 – NREL – Straight Vegetable Oil as a Diesel Fuel.pdf
- Small-Scale Oilseed Processing Guide – Penn State Extension and University of Vermont Extension (2013); 55pp. Presents most effective and broadly accepted practices in the Northeast at the time of publication. Contents: overview, edible oils, cleaning and storage, oilseed presses, oil filtration, regulations, commercial design evaluation.
Module Author, Chris Callahan, is the Agricultural Engineer with UVM Extension. His work has focuses on postharvest practices in regional food systems, covered growing and sustainable energy practices on farms including biomass heating of greenhouse and crop-based, farm-scale biodiesel for farm use.
If you wish to adapt these curriculum materials for your own educational purposes, please contact the Module Author for permission and files: